Saturday, August 16, 2008

The Ultimate Keyboard


The Ultimate Keyboard is 18 years old - the Apple Extended Keyboard II. As a writer, I've been looking for the ultimate computer keyboard for years. I think I've finally found it.

The picture on the left shows the current Apple wireless keyboard on top and the Apple Extended Keyboard II on the bottom. The latter is a big, not-much-to-look-at keyboard, but it is great to type on. It took some doing to get this old tech to work with new tech, but I'm glad I made the effort.

There's a lot more tactile feel and "clicky" response to typing on the older keyboard as opposed to the newer one, which feels kind of cheap by comparison. Over the years I've amassed quite a number of keyboards (I've been using personal computers for nearly 30 years now).

New stuff isn't always better. Only chronological snobbery, as C.S. Lewis would put it, keeps us thinking that something new, whether it is a keyboard or an idea, is always better than something old.

No comments: