Tuesday, September 9, 2008

What is a "C.S. Lewis scholar"?

"The first thing I should say is that I am not a Lewis scholar. The second thing is that, from what I understand of the man, he would likely be amused that there are people called Lewis scholars. There are simply those who can stop reading Lewis, and those who can't. After a while, some of the latter find that they are thought to be Lewis scholars." -Richard John Neuhaus, First Things, 1998

I was first referred to as a "C.S. Lewis scholar" on the back of my book The Lion, the Witch, and the Bible. I thought the appellation strange then and still do. I've written three books about Lewis and his works, but what does it take to be a "scholar" on anyone? I prefer to state that one of my academic areas of interest is C.S. Lewis. And that is that.

No comments: