Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Electric Bass and the Existence of God


I'm a classically trained pianist and an avante-garde leaning composer, though admittedly it's been a long time since I practiced, performed, or composed regularly. So what am I doing playing electric bass? Having fun. A few months ago I started playing a standard 4-string Ibanez bass--nothing fancy. I recently acquired a 4-string fretless Fender Squier and love it. Here's a pic of me trying to play it. Be glad you can't hear the picture. :-)

What's been very helpful as I teach myself to play bass is my college-level background in music theory. At least I know where the notes are, tonal chord progressions, etc. But it's the technical part that's tricky. Learning to play a new instrument well is a challenge. It takes time and a lot of practice.

Music is obviously a creative art form, but where is it rooted? Theologically and philosophically speaking, our drive to create music and other art forms is rooted in the fact that we are created in God's image, making us creative beings. Beauty in art reflects the reality of God. As Peter Kreeft and Ronald Tacelli put it in a short argument for the existence of God, "There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God" (Handbook of Christian Apologetics, p. 81).

No comments: