Friday, June 26, 2009

Walter Martin: Courage Remembered

Twenty years ago on June 26, Walter Martin died. As a radio host and author of numerous books including The Kingdom of the Cults, Martin sought to "contend for the faith" (Jude 3) on a regular basis.

Martin's efforts changed my life for the better. As a relatively new Christian living in Southern California, I regularly encountered skeptics, adherents of new religions, cultists, and more. From Martin's books, tapes, and ministry I learned to take my faith seriously. He helped me become grounded in theological essentials, while at the same time sharpening my analytical skills and, more often than not, making me laugh.

Just a few short years after Martin's passing, I had the distinction of serving with Christian Research Institute, the organization he founded, first as a volunteer and later as an employee serving in a few different departments including research.

One of my favorite Martin sayings is, "Controversy for the sake of controversy is sin. Controversy for the sake of truth is a divine command." If every Christian had Martin's courage and conviction, not only would culture be transformed for the better, but individuals would be, too.

Read a three-part article series remembering Martin written by Kenneth Samples. Also see Walter Martin's Religious InfoNet.

No comments: